Although you may not consider it when identifying the most useful tools in your kitchen, your garbage disposal is likely one of your kitchen’s most important features. Kitchen sink garbage disposals must be cared for properly or they could need premature replacement.
When Caring for Your Disposal, Consider the Following Rules of Thumb:
- Always run cold water before and after using your disposal.
- Never use your hand to pull materials out.
- Do not put drain cleaners, bleach, or other chemicals down the garbage disposal unit.
- Use cold water when you grind food. Hot water can melt fats that clog up.
- Do not grind bones or try to put any of the following down the garbage disposal: coffee grounds, glass, metal, rubber, or overly-fibrous materials (like corn husks).
- Do not overfill the garbage disposal.
Trust the ARS/Rescue Rooter Experts
If your disposal stops working correctly, it may be time for a repair or even a replacement. Because of the small space and awkward positioning of a sink disposal, it is usually uncomfortable and difficult to repair or replace on your own. Instead of undergoing this inconvenience, speak with one of our expert plumbers. We can even come to your home to review the situation and discuss the options before completing any repairs. If you’ve already purchased a new unit, we are happy to install a disposal that you provide.
Call us at 216-749-4600 to request an appointment today.